Just some thought regarding current large scale battle in 0.0:
- Not so interesting for base pilots, you follow FC order, you play until you become primary target then you rush for another ship.
- Battles are often won by the side aligning the larger fleet.
- Large fleets tend to limit ship types to ease leadership, which lower tactical effect of different ships (only drakes and scimitar for instance)
- Large fleets create huge lag
After discussing with many players, everyone just love looking at alliance tournament because of small engagement (1 pilot using his ship perfectly can change the outcome of the fight) and because of diversity (what types of ship will they align and how they interact together to form a well-balanced group).
I propose to completely redesign the fleet concept in order to:
- Give more responsibility for each pilot.
- Give more importance to the fleet composition (preparation of the battle)
- Try to stop very large fleet size, which is the main cause of lag when fighting
This is mainly done by reducing the number of ships in a fleet.
Here are my propositions to achieve this:
- Replace the pilot fleet limit by a Fleet Command Limit
- Fleet command limit is influenced by FC leadership skills
- Each ship type receive a fleet command weight
- Sum of all ship fleet command weight within a fleet cannot exceed the Flee command limit
- Fleet command weight is bigger for bigger ship (idea is to have fleet with no more than 15 BS sized ships for instance). Taking the volume or mass of a ship to get its fleet command weight might be a first settings to investigate
- When create a fleet the fleet commander has the option prepare his fleet composition by asking for specific ships (3 drakes, a vulture, 2 scimitar) or asking for specific ship role (3 interceptors, 1 titan)
- When a pilot join a fleet, either the fleet has no composition, either the pilot fly one of the ships part of the composition which reserves the dedicated slot for him
Of course this will not stop alliance to form-up 10 fleets and play together but this will make the coordination of these fleets more difficult (you cannot warp or anchor the same guy) which will naturally force alliance leader to adapt and create new way of fighting.
This will certainly force alliance to spread their forces and try to build balanced fleet groups (with complementary ships).
This will also force fleet leader to think differently (do I prefer 1 drake or 2 cerberus + a frigate sized ship ?).
Of course you can create a full DPS fleet with no support but its role and engagement will then need to be carefully planned.
I know it's a little strange proposition in the never-ending "I want to have larger fleet" request but I think this might really add more strategy on fleet leader hands, give more responsibilities to pilots within the fleet and more over limit the number of ships fighting on the same place, thus reducing lag issue.
I don't know if this kind of proposition has ever been made, let me know what you think about this.