Originally by: Adonis 4174
The only really required change is that when you get sick of the drag-menu you open up the options window (press escape) click on the Generic tab and choose "Expand action menu with middle mousebutton" in the central column.
I don't know about that. I could think of a number of improvements to the UI. For instance:
1. A block of customizable macro hotkeys. Not the illegitimate kind of macros, mind you. Just the ability to multi-bind a couple of functions. For example, you could drag your high slots into a macro, bind it to a key and presto! All of the selected high slots would activate/deactivate. Then you could do away with the awkward current default setup of f1-8+modifier keys and free up screen space at the same time.
2. That freaking overview. I can't move it, I can't turn it off and it's a resource hog. Why exactly can't we unanchor it, and why exactly is it so resource-hungry?
3. Drones. Don't even get me started.
4. Why does every one of my targets have it's own icon on my screen? Wouldn't it be better to display 1 target, and have the rest on a tabbed index? Or better yet, hotkeyed? NUM1 through NUM9 and +/- controls to switch between targets and surprise! Even more screen space freed up!
5. Why is the main menu permanently anchored on the side of my screen? When not in use, it should minimize to a small icon, not a huge bar.
6. Why are UI elements scattered 360 degrees around my screen? This is an ergonomic nightmare. Everything should be easily reachable with minimal mouse movement.
I could go on, but I think my point is clear. Look at WoW. For all it's problems, it had one of the best UI's I have ever seen. Even if it weren't customizable at all, it would still be light years ahead of the EVE UI. Which isn't really surprising, since this UI is what? 9 years old?
Seriously guys, forget about all of these "shiny things" and let's get back to the stuff that's really important - stability and accessability.