Posted - 2011.09.03 15:55:00 - [1
A problem with supercaps is that their pilots can't safely get out of them, without a very real risk of theft/bumping out of POSses/etc.
The currently widely used solution is to have a supercap alt which sits in said supercap forever. When it's not needed, the supercap pilot will log off, making it disappear.
My suggestion is to give supercaps the ability to deploy.
1. It takes 1 hour (discussable) to do, and during this time it's twice (discussable) as vulnerable to damage.
2. Once this hour is over, the supercap will start burning Strontium at a set rate.
3. While in this mode, the supercap cannot do anything, including the use of drones/fighters (any fighters out should just sever it's links or something)
4. While in this mode, the supercap is absolutely stationary/unbumpable.
5. While in this mode, the supercap is absolutely invulnerable. Alternatively, shooting the supercap could increase it's Strontium Consumption Rate.
6. While in this mode, it cannot receive items. This to prevent Strontium Fueling without getting out of the mode once in a while.
7. Settings should be available on who can board the supercap while in this mode. However, when running out of Strontium without a pilot, it will be boardable by anyone.
This could be tied in with Supercaps not dissapearing when it's pilot logs off, as there would be other ways to keep Supercaps, at least for a while, safe.