Posted - 2011.08.24 19:51:00 - [1
Edited by: Marcus JuniusBrutus on 24/08/2011 20:22:20
Specialist cruiser sized ship whose role like their 19thC forbears before them is to capture denizens of the deep; in this case starships.
2. The How
Ship can web a target ship to bring it to a halt and then use 'harpoon' type weapons or maybe special harpoon drones to cause damage. Maybe even use a new version of a tractor beam to act as method to lash the two hulls together as they fight...
If the target ship can be brought to a fraction of structure - i.e. 25% (purely as a random example), target player is ejected from their ship in a pod and 'whaling ship' then is able to tow the stricken ship back to a port. Clearly when towing, the whaling ship's speed, manoeuvrability and ability to defend is greatly reduced.
Presumably, a cruiser sized whaling ship would be restricted to similar sized vessels as targets - maybe transport ships at maximum sized target. One other possibility would be to bring in a group of whaling ships to perhaps take down larger prey like a freighter together.
3. The Why
- Better than a killmail!?, keep that trophy target ship and all its fittings!
- Brings a new dynamic to fleet fights or lone hunters (pick on a macro miner maybe?)
- New specialism to work on for players
- Skills might be transferable if and when CCP lets us hunt down comets for ice mining
- Way to make bounty hunting or even capturing players ships for ransom viable professions
Thanks for reading! Apologies if raised before but could not see it.
The Blue Dagger Mercenery Agency
Posted - 2011.08.24 20:17:00 - [3
Can we carve scrimshaw and blubber from the crews corpses?
Can we harvest spermaceti somehow?
Can we hire Ismael for our ships crew?
Can we get a Rescue Jonah mission?
If the answer is yes to the 4 questions above, I am all for it.