open All Channels
seplocked Ships and Modules
blankseplocked Resistence Amps math
 
This thread is older than 90 days and has been locked due to inactivity.


 
Author Topic

Heth Stampede
Posted - 2011.08.19 20:01:00 - [1]
 

can anyone tell me the proper formula for calculating resistances using Shield Resistance Amplifiers?

According to my math using a Machariel and all level 5 skills(Except kinetic shield compensation) in EFT and 1 single T2 Kinetic Deflection Amplifier, your base kinetic resistence is 62.5%. the difference between 62.5 and 100 is 37.5, 5% of 37.5% is 1.875, which means with a single level of Kinetic Shield Compensation your kinetic resistance should be 64.375% (roughly) but according to EFT it goes up to 63.6% which is a 1.1% or less boost.

Can anyone help me figure out why these numbers don't match up properly? in EFT i just have a machariel with all level 5 skills, 0 levels in KSC and a single kinetic resistance amp on and nothing else in any slots

Epic Fail Troll
Posted - 2011.08.19 20:34:00 - [2]
 

IIRC the shield comp skills improve the shield amps' resists, not your ship's resists.

So, looking at EFT, a t2 amp has 37.5% resist, but once you fit it, your shield comp skill brings it up to 46.875% at lvl5.

Aamrr
Posted - 2011.08.20 06:00:00 - [3]
 

Edited by: Aamrr on 20/08/2011 06:00:47
That information was accurate. You are a terrible troll. Smile

Edit: Crap. Did I just get trolled?

Tippia
Caldari
Sunshine and Lollipops
Posted - 2011.08.20 08:18:00 - [4]
 

Machariel: 40% base kinetic resist.
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II: 37.5% kinetic resist bonus.
Kinetic Shield Compensation: 5% bonus to bonus per level.

So, at KSC I, you get 5% bonus to your 37.5% bonus = 39.375% final bonus for the amplifier.

Base resist removes 40% of the incoming damage, leaving 60%.
The bonused amplifier removes 39.375% of the remaining damage, leaving 60.625% of those 60%.

1-(1-0.4)(1-0.39375) = 0.63625 = 63.625% final kinetic resist.

Heth Stampede
Posted - 2011.08.20 15:33:00 - [5]
 

Tippia i'm sorry I don't really get the math you used but either way it still doesn't explain how with a single level of KSC gives barely a 1.1% boost when the math says it should be 1.875.

Also this isn't a troll i'm seriously trying to figure this out

iKill Giants
Eternal Phoenix Rises
Posted - 2011.08.20 18:28:00 - [6]
 

At a .7 difference, you're probably just failing to properly calculate the way the extra resist is applied.

Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
Posted - 2011.08.20 21:42:00 - [7]
 

Originally by: Heth Stampede
Tippia i'm sorry I don't really get the math you used but either way it still doesn't explain how with a single level of KSC gives barely a 1.1% boost when the math says it should be 1.875.


Then let's go through it one step at a time. Mainly because I'm sure you're not the only one with the issue. Also due to boredom.

Originally by: Tippia
Machariel: 40% base kinetic resist.
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II: 37.5% kinetic resist bonus.
Kinetic Shield Compensation: 5% bonus to bonus per level.


So here are your basics. The base resist is inherent in the hull and any modifications to it are on the remaining resistance hole -- so they modify the 60% remaining incoming damage, not the 40% resistance.

The amplifier (without skills) would remove 37.5% of the remaining 60% kinetic hole. This comes to 60*.375 = 22.5% removed (so new resistance of 62.5%).

Because amplifiers are adjusted by compensation skills at 5%/level, the amplifier at kinetic comp 1 actually gives you 1.05*37.5% = 39.375%. So that is the actual percentage of the 60% hole that is removed, giving:

60*.39375 = 23.625% increase on your base 40% resist = 63.625% resist.

(Note that at KSC 5 this would be 68.125% kinetic resist, so the next four levels of KSC improve your resist by ~4.5% resistance.

Anyhow, that's how the actual math works. If you're still confused about it, ask about specifics of where it doesn't make sense. Your error in where you think "the math says it should be" is in there somewhere.

Heth Stampede
Posted - 2011.08.25 15:14:00 - [8]
 

Ok I think I get it now, the way I was doing the math was to figure out the difference between my resist and 100 which was 37.5% then I figured out what 5% of that number was 1.875, and then adding that 1.875 to the resist I had, I wasn't thinking of it as multiplication by 1.05 (the .05 being the 5% boost from 1 level of skill) so that's why my numbers were coming up differently, thanks for the help


 

This thread is older than 90 days and has been locked due to inactivity.


 


The new forums are live

Please adjust your bookmarks to https://forums.eveonline.com

These forums are archived and read-only