Edited by: Toshiro GreyHawk on 26/07/2011 00:19:42
In addition to training up your drone skills there are a few things you can do to enhance the effectiveness of your main battery.
1) Fit Tracking Computers
This improves your turret tracking speed and range and can be fitted with scripts
that will emphasize one over the other.
2) Fit Target Painters
which increase the targets signature radius making it easier to hit for ANY ship engaging it.
3) Fit a Web - so that you can slow down the guy zipping around you that you are trying to kill.
4) Tactics - Kite the rats. Kiting the rats involves engaging them at range and using an After Burner to keep them at that range. What you do, is to approach the rats until you gain their agro (they start blinking at you) then turn away from them (not towards another group of rats) and kill the rats as they try to close. By shooting straight back over your stern you reduce the amount of tracking your guns need to do and increase the time it takes the rats to close on you. When they start trying to orbit you - it also makes their orbits more difficult as they have to keep up with you. If you are webbed - then you need to take into consideration the effect of using your AB's on your Capacitor. The AB's will make you go faster but will use up the amount of capacitor you have to tank your ship (for one thing).
5) Stay clear of the rat spawn points. The rats will typically spawn from certain areas of the mission. When you notice rats spawning in a certain area - stay away from it - so that they don't spawn right on top of you (that being within range of their webbers and scramblers).
6) Train Motion Prediction
which improves your tracking speeds.
7) Consider fitting Missiles. If you're flying a Minmatar Ship - they often have fewer turret hard points than they do hi slots - with the rest available to missile launchers. Missiles always hit though they can benefit from things that reduce the speed of their targets so that they hit harder.
8) Train Target Navigation Prediction
which will help your missiles be more effective against speedy targets.
9) Be aware of the nature of the weapons you are using against the rats. Projectiles, Charges and Crystals all come in long and short range versions. The longer the range the less the power. Carry some of both. Load each into your weapons, right click on the weapon, do a show info and note the Optimal and Fall Off. Add those two numbers together and you've got the effective range of your weapon with that thing loaded. Missiles have a range based on velocity and flight time. These are modified by your skills in Missile Bombardment and Missile Projection. Know the effective ranges of all your weapons with that loads you are going to use before going into combat. Also - take note of any vulnerabilities your rats have to specific types of damage. The Missions Guide
is a good place to look.
10) When something is jamming you or webbing you - there will be a little counter that starts scrolling down in the middle of your screen and a symbol by the rat. Mouse over it.
The above are not mutually exclusive but then you don't need to do all of them either. They're just options to consider.
Another factor here though is that flying Minmatar ships is more skill intensive than others. They can use Drones, Missiles and Projectiles as well as being Armor or Shield Tankers. This makes them more flexible but is also going to make them less amenable to a 3 week old player than other factions ships.