Posted - 2011.06.23 19:27:00 - [1
As many of you i too was plagued by poor video performance.
Tinkering with settings didn't work and, well, generally it was a very poor upgrade.
I even considered upgrading to a new iMac. However...
I did this, and now don't have to buy a new iMac for now.
This does not necessarily work for you. But this is what worked for me!
I have a 27inch iMac (mid 2009)
3.06Ghz C2D, 8GB ram, 1TB disk, 2550x1440, Ati HD4670 256MB
So start with:
1. Download the full install of EVE Online.
2. Remove these items from your system:
~/Library/Application Support/Eve Online
~/Library/Preferences/Eve Online Preferences
/Applications/Eve Online (yes remove the game)
This will result in loosing ALL YOUR SETTINGS. I didn't bother looking up how to restore or save it as the problem is likely in those files anyway. So bear with it and start fresh!
3. Install EVE by dragging the game from its DMG file to /Applications/ (where it belongs)
4. Start Eve Online and login (you should see the intro/background on the login is faster now, more fluid)
5. Go into settings and:
- enable "multithreaded openGL"
- Set present interval to "interval one"
6. Press Apply
7. At effects set these:
- Enable "Use LOD"
- Enable "Sun is occluded by objects" (DISABLE WITH POOR FPS!!)
- Enable "Low quality Characters"
- Disable "Physically simulated cloth and hair"
8. At Graphic content settings set this (or similar, your milage may vary):
- Enable "resource cache"
- Disable HDR
- DIsable "Load station environment"
Then from top to bottom set these settings (starting with Anti Aliasing)
9. And press Apply.
This increased my FPS from 2-5FPS to a steady 30-40FPS when undocked and moving the screen around in a area with MANY objects and a bunch of pilots mining. If i disable the sun occlusion setting i get 45-50FPS but causes blindness cuz the sun is too bright from certain angles.
DISCLAIMER: I'm an industrialist, i fly orca's. Small fleets, lots of asteroids and like missions. These settings on MY iMac work for ME. I haven't tried this on other macs or other accounts or even other play styles. Again, your milage may vary!
Post here if it works!