open All Channels
seplocked Assembly Hall
blankseplocked Summit Topic: Ship Balance
 
This thread is older than 90 days and has been locked due to inactivity.


 
Pages: first : previous : ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

Author Topic

Hilft Talbu
Posted - 2011.09.08 23:38:00 - [361]
 

Synopsis:

Change jamming mechanics from:

Z = X/Y

to:

Z = 2*X/(2*X+Y).

X = Jamming Strength
Y = Sensor Strength
Z = Jamming Chance

Discussion:
Lets skip the deeper questions and implications with regards to jamming and keep this one simple: Jamming is supposed to be chance based.

However, this is not the case with the current mechanics. Once the jamming strength of a jammer becomes greater then the sensor strength of a ship, jamming is no longer chance based, jamming becomes a given. Taking into account the bonuses from modules, rigs, skills, ship bonuses, thermodynamics, and gang bonuses especially from the recent move towards POSed up T3s, jamming is no longer chance based for the vast majority of ships flown these days.

While the existing mechanics worked when jamming strengths of any given module were typically less the half that of the sensor strength of a ship, they break down as the jamming strength approaches and eventually surpasses the sensor strength of a ship.

Firstly, as the jamming strength approaches the sensor strength of a ship small increases in jamming strength will have a huge reduction in the chance of the target avoiding being jammed. For example a Vagabond being jammed by a Falcon with an ECM - Phased Inverter II that has a jamming strength of 12 has about a 14% chance of not being jammed. If the Falcon takes steps to increase the jamming strength of its ECM module to 13, the Vagabond now has a 7% chance of not being jammed. So approximately an 8% increase in the jamming strength resulted in a 50% reduction in the chances of a Vagabond avoiding being jammed.

Secondly, as we continue the example above and the Falcon takes yet another step to increase the jamming strength of its ECM module to 14, approximately a 7% increase we now find the poor Vagabond has 0% chance of not being jammed. Unfortunately, jamming strengths of 12, 13 or 14 are not that unreasonable and ultimately a Falcon or Rook can get nearly a jamming strength of 18 out of its T2 racial ECM modules. That means such a ship would be guaranteed to jam at 100% almost every Battlecruiser and below with the exception of some Recon, Logistics and Caldari ships.

Now if we revisit the examples above with the proposed change we find the following:

Vagabond = 14 Sensor Strength

Jamming strength of 12; 2*12/(2*12+14) = 63% Jamming Chance, 37% Not Jammed
Jamming strength of 13; 2*13/(2*13+14) = 65% Jamming Chance, 35% Not Jammed
Jamming strength of 14; 2*14/(2*13+14) = 67% Jamming Chance, 33% Not Jammed
Jamming strength of 18; 2*18/(2*18+14) = 72% Jamming Chance, 28% Not Jammed

As we can see in this revised situation two things happen, the Falcon is not longer guaranteed to jam the Vagabond every time and as the jamming strength of the Falcon's jamming module increases we see a more reasonable corresponding increase it the jamming chances.

Lee Vanden
Macabre Votum
Morsus Mihi
Posted - 2011.09.09 01:51:00 - [362]
 

Edited by: Lee Vanden on 09/09/2011 02:04:09
Edited by: Lee Vanden on 09/09/2011 02:02:38
The Eris is in need of a cpu boost.

The Enyo is in need of a third midslot, without being able to scram and web a target it is useless.

The Deimos needs a big power grid boost, a cpu boost, and a 4th mid slot to bring it in line with other races HACs. It should be able to fit neutron blasters as standard, as well as a decent tank so that it can survive long enough to get into range and use them, a mwd, a scram, a web, and a cap booster.

The Phobos should be given a drone bay size of at least 50m3.

The Hyperion is rarely used in fleets as the Megathron's bonus to tracking are more useful than the Hyperions bonus to local repping. I would replace it with a bonus to damage resistance or optimal range.

Gallente ships in general need to be made faster and have a much higher rate of acceleration, to negate the speed and agility penalties of armor tanking and still get into range of their target, and bring their blasters into the fight.

They should also be able to field more drones at a time than any other race, as that is supposed to be their racial speciality. I would suggest a maximum of seven drones for dedicated drone boats, such as the Dominix, Vexor and Ishtar, and six for others such as the Deimos, Thorax, Megathron and Hyperion.

Blasters need a small reduction in powergrid requirements, a small optimal and falloff boost, a big damage boost and a tracking boost. If a blaster boat gets into range of it's target, the blasters should tear the opponent up, not do slightly more dps and then only if they are able to webify the target to keep them still.

Railguns need a massive boost to alpha damage. Currently they're like firing pea shooters, where as they should be like sniper rifles, long range, deadly hard hitting, but with a slow firing rate (which they have) and poor tracking at short range (which they have).

There are many reasons not to use hybrid weapons, they use a lot of powergrid and cpu, they only have one damage type (thermal), the ammo takes ages to reload, the weapons use a lot of capacitor power to keep running and they only work at extreme ranges. Please balance these out with some reason to want to use them.


Pages: first : previous : ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

This thread is older than 90 days and has been locked due to inactivity.


 


The new forums are live

Please adjust your bookmarks to https://forums.eveonline.com

These forums are archived and read-only