EVE Players Guide On MiningEVE Players Guide On Advanced Mining
The second guide is based on Halada's.
OK. Suppose you come right out of the tubes with your 5,000 ISK and want to mine to make some money. Here's what you can do in your first hour or so of playing the game to get started.
0) Begin Training The Mining Skill and run the Crash Course to learn how to play EVE. Note - that you can mine those asteroids in the Crash Course into a jet can, bookmark it and then come back and get it. Jet can mining in mission space is relatively safe but you can be robbed doing that in the belts. Jet Cans last 2 hours. If you're closing on two hours - you can jettison anything (such as a bookmark you can create in your People and Places tool), make a new jet can and put the contents of the old one into it. Label the jet can with the time you made it so you know how much time you have left.
1) Warp out to the belts and do Mine and Return until you've got about 20,000 ISK. Don't refine your ore - sell it as is.
2) Do a Leave Ship on your Rookie Ship.
3) Repackage your Rookie ship and then Assemble it. This will put a Rookie miner and weapon in your Items hangar - and fit your ship with new ones.
4) Open the fitting tool and remove the miner from the rookie ship and replace it with the gun from your items hangar.
5) Take your 20,000 ISK and buy a Mining Frigate and put the two Rookie miners you now have on it.
6) Go mine some more ore with your two miners.
7) When you have the money Buy the skills Drones/Drones and Drones/Scout Drones - this will give your rookie ship it's best weapon - a drone - and can be done is a very few minutes - it will also let you put a drone on your mining frigate (unless it is a Burst - in which case you want to train Caldari Frigate II and get a Badger instead).
8) Buy a couple of drones
Now - you have a combat ship (your rookie ship with two weapons and a drone or two) and a Miner - your mining frigate with two miners and a drone.
Now ... the Mission Space for the Crash Course will go away as soon as you leave it. But other mission space will persist until you turn the mission in. That means you can complete the mission then loot/salvage the wrecks and then mine any asteroids in it. You can however mine the Crash Course space as often as you like - by going to your help menu/tutorials/your first days/crash course.
Expanded Cargo Holds will let you haul more Ore. As you get more money - you can buy better miners than the two you got by repackaging your rookie ship. And ... OBTW ... you can manufacture rookie miners that way - and sell them ... just not for very much - so ... it's mostly not worth your time ... But - that will teach you how to place a Sell Order on the market instead of just selling to someone's buy order.
When you run your Career Agent Missions you will have asteroids in some of them:
Business first as you will get a free Industrial
Mining Next Mining Frigate, Miners and Industrial
Exploration - a few asteroids and time to improve your skills.
Now - the Combat set of missions has the best asteroids in it. So many that in one of them - you would be hard pressed to mine them all with a mining crew of several mining barges. So ... if you can at least get into a Mining Cruiser (not the Arbitrator) before you run this one ... you'll be able to harvest more of that ore.
Last you can do your Advanced Combat Agent.
When done - you'll have a destroyer you can fit with salvagers and tractor beams, a good combat frigate, at least a Mining Frigae if you haven't bought a mining cruiser and an industrial. Get another destroyer and use that for running your Level I missions.
You can then go run Level I missions - and if there are asteroids in them - loot/salvage/mine - then turn in the mission & pick up your ore at the bookmarked jet can.