open All Channels
seplocked EVE General Discussion
blankseplocked Sell Me On Player Corps
 
This thread is older than 90 days and has been locked due to inactivity.


 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic

syphurous
Gallente
Center for Advanced Studies
Posted - 2009.09.30 21:45:00 - [1]
 

Why would I, or anyone else want to join a player corp.

Louis deGuerre
Gallente
Malevolence.
Posted - 2009.09.30 21:55:00 - [2]
 

Because it's cold and lonely out there.

Btw, we are recruiting Razz

Malcanis
Caldari
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
Posted - 2009.09.30 21:56:00 - [3]
 

Originally by: syphurous
Why would I, or anyone else want to join a player corp.


Well I dont know. Why would you?

Serge Bastana
Gallente
GWA Corp
Posted - 2009.09.30 21:58:00 - [4]
 

I would expect people to make their own minds, up, I did when I started playing. If you see no benefit right now then that's fine.

N'tek alar
Minmatar
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:02:00 - [5]
 

Sell me on selling it to you.

Why would I, or anyone else want to bother convincing you.

Vaal Erit
Science and Trade Institute
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:04:00 - [6]
 

Because it's an MMO game, genius?

Kaalen
Caldari
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:04:00 - [7]
 

Because you're playing a massivley MULTIPLAYER game. It's sort of the point.

syphurous
Gallente
Center for Advanced Studies
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:07:00 - [8]
 

I'm quite often run with and interact with over 40 other members of my NPC / Player corps. I'm not just playing solo.

Professor Tarantula
Hedion University
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:08:00 - [9]
 

Same reason people join any group; for the feeling they're accepted and part of something larger.

*SPOILER ALERT*

It's all an illusion based on smileys and other empty gestures.

Togakure
Sniggerdly
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:08:00 - [10]
 

I can't believe someone is asking this question. You join a player corp because this is a Massive MultiplayerORPG. Most of the fun and design behind these type of games involve interactions with other people. Get it?

Xen Gin
Silurian Operations
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:10:00 - [11]
 

Originally by: Kaalen
Because you're playing a massivley MULTIPLAYER game. It's sort of the point.


Yeah, like those NPC corps don't have multi-player or something!?

Jastra
Gallente
Black Thorne Corporation
Black Thorne Alliance
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:15:00 - [12]
 

> Because you dont (rarely) have to listen to anyone going "how do I get drones to work" every 5 minutes or "buy your ISK here" constantly

> Cant launch a POS

> Can't declare war on anyone

> Will generally be disregarded as a noob by anyone in EVE who is in a player corp

> Because you can meet like minded people and do stuff together

> Because one day you can sublime to 0.0 and claim a bit of it as your own

> Because this game isnt called missions are us, theres lots to do and you simply cant do some of it in an NPC corp

> Because despite what the naersayers would have you believe joining a player corp does not equal an instant wardec

> You'll shortly be paying 11% tax and most player corps charge 10% or less

> you dont benefit from any corp schemes, my corp offers at cost t1 ships, mission nights with a weekly reward being paid to the best, jump clones, research POS access, and lots of corps offer other cool stuff to members

If you say you often get a few people together, get those few people together in a corp and do your thing, you might find you enjoy it.

Oh and we also are recruiting Razz

Jas.

Togakure
Sniggerdly
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:16:00 - [13]
 

Your question is analogous to why would people take off training wheels on their bicycles? You're still riding a bike right?


DrefsabZN
Caldari
Caldari Provisions
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:20:00 - [14]
 

Originally by: Jastra
> Because you dont (rarely) have to listen to anyone going "how do I get drones to work" every 5 minutes or "buy your ISK here" constantly

> Cant launch a POS

> Can't declare war on anyone

> Will generally be disregarded as a noob by anyone in EVE who is in a player corp

> Because you can meet like minded people and do stuff together

> Because one day you can sublime to 0.0 and claim a bit of it as your own

> Because this game isnt called missions are us, theres lots to do and you simply cant do some of it in an NPC corp

> Because despite what the naersayers would have you believe joining a player corp does not equal an instant wardec

> You'll shortly be paying 11% tax and most player corps charge 10% or less

> you dont benefit from any corp schemes, my corp offers at cost t1 ships, mission nights with a weekly reward being paid to the best, jump clones, research POS access, and lots of corps offer other cool stuff to members

If you say you often get a few people together, get those few people together in a corp and do your thing, you might find you enjoy it.

Oh and we also are recruiting Razz

Jas.



/thread

Oscardoodle
Amarr
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:29:00 - [15]
 

I suggest you stay out of them and stick to your npc corp.

The corps of eve will thank you.

syphurous
Gallente
Center for Advanced Studies
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:40:00 - [16]
 

> Because you dont (rarely) have to listen to anyone going "how do I get drones to work" every 5 minutes or "buy your ISK here" constantly
I spent 2 hours today helping new players help understanding things the tutorials dont explain. I've made most of contacts from being that guy who answers the questions, or suppies advice. Isk spammers are on an all time low. Maybe one or two a day and they die pretty fast.

> Cant launch a POS
There's no moons worth mining, and plently of cost effective BPC's available on contracts.

> Can't declare war on anyone
People I would want to Dec, I just wait till they go into low sec, 0.0, or trick them into aggression.

> Will generally be disregarded as a noob by anyone in EVE who is in a player corp
I dont really care what people who don't know me think of me. As in life, you can rarely judge a book by its cover.

> Because you can meet like minded people and do stuff together
I do have like minded people I run with. They cover all time zones aswell, so there's always someone to interact with.

> Because one day you can sublime to 0.0 and claim a bit of it as your own
I would get no benefit from owning anything in 0.0, there's nothing that attracts me to 0.0 other than PvP, which I dont need to own any of 0.0 for. Infact no owning any means I can PvP on my own time, when I can afford to.

> Because this game isnt called missions are us, theres lots to do and you simply cant do some of it in an NPC corp
What can I not do in a NPC corp that a Player corp can ?

> Because despite what the naersayers would have you believe joining a player corp does not equal an instant wardec
I already know this, I've roamed around area's of low sec and 0.0 and even afked uncloaked at a gate perfectly safe. I would hardly draw attention to myself, I'm not a profitable target, I doubt many casual players are worth the war dec.

> You'll shortly be paying 11% tax and most player corps charge 10% or less
This is hardly a problem, the way the 11% applied wont affect anyone. Its a 5 minute code change CCP really hasn't bothered to research. It simply wont have the affect they think it will.

> you dont benefit from any corp schemes, my corp offers at cost t1 ships, mission nights with a weekly reward being paid to the best, jump clones, research POS access, and lots of corps offer other cool stuff to members
Ships are already close to cost on the market, I also have access to players who will sell me t2 at cost + small profit, much less than market. I have JC's and if I didn't have the standings to do so there are several corps that offer them. Nothing I could get from a POS that the market does not supply. The price is rarely too much for the lack of effort.

If you say you often get a few people together, get those few people together in a corp and do your thing, you might find you enjoy it.
Nothing restricts me doing anything with people not of my corp.

Oh and we also are recruiting Razz
Everyone is recruiting 3 year old NPC corpers :P

Faife
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:42:00 - [17]
 

Originally by: syphurous
Why would I, or anyone else want to join a player corp.


why would any corp want you? you sound useless.

Jastra
Gallente
Black Thorne Corporation
Black Thorne Alliance
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:45:00 - [18]
 

Originally by: syphurous
[i]> stuff


your right, stay in the NPC corp, you deserve to be taxed at 11%, my apologies for trying to be constructive when you've already closed your mind....

Louella Dougans
Amarr
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:45:00 - [19]
 

Game mechanics that are restricted to corps aside (wars, POS, etc.), the reason to join a player corp is simple.

It's a shared identity. Share victory, share defeat, make common friends, make common enemies. Be part of something more than just "Some cool people I know"

It's the way to make a part, however small, of Eve history, and inspire other people. And say to people "I was there when X Corp did (adjective) thing!"

syphurous
Gallente
Center for Advanced Studies
Posted - 2009.09.30 22:56:00 - [20]
 

I'm sorry I'm shooting down your reasons but I'm looking for the carrot, all I see is sticks.

CCP simply haven't provided / shown me any carrots. CCP wants us out of NPC corps, but there's no value out of one.

The group "identity" is interesting but there's not enough value from it for a casual player.

Louella Dougans
Amarr
Sovereign Hospitaller Order of Saint Katherine
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:01:00 - [21]
 

Originally by: syphurous
The group "identity" is interesting but there's not enough value from it for a casual player.


Define value?

Linda Lipsynch
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:02:00 - [22]
 

Originally by: syphurous
> Because you dont (rarely) have to listen to anyone going "how do I get drones to work" every 5 minutes or "buy your ISK here" constantly
I spent 2 hours today helping new players help understanding things the tutorials dont explain. I've made most of contacts from being that guy who answers the questions, or suppies advice. Isk spammers are on an all time low. Maybe one or two a day and they die pretty fast.

> Cant launch a POS
There's no moons worth mining, and plently of cost effective BPC's available on contracts.

> Can't declare war on anyone
People I would want to Dec, I just wait till they go into low sec, 0.0, or trick them into aggression.

> Will generally be disregarded as a noob by anyone in EVE who is in a player corp
I dont really care what people who don't know me think of me. As in life, you can rarely judge a book by its cover.

> Because you can meet like minded people and do stuff together
I do have like minded people I run with. They cover all time zones aswell, so there's always someone to interact with.

> Because one day you can sublime to 0.0 and claim a bit of it as your own
I would get no benefit from owning anything in 0.0, there's nothing that attracts me to 0.0 other than PvP, which I dont need to own any of 0.0 for. Infact no owning any means I can PvP on my own time, when I can afford to.

> Because this game isnt called missions are us, theres lots to do and you simply cant do some of it in an NPC corp
What can I not do in a NPC corp that a Player corp can ?

> Because despite what the naersayers would have you believe joining a player corp does not equal an instant wardec
I already know this, I've roamed around area's of low sec and 0.0 and even afked uncloaked at a gate perfectly safe. I would hardly draw attention to myself, I'm not a profitable target, I doubt many casual players are worth the war dec.

> You'll shortly be paying 11% tax and most player corps charge 10% or less
This is hardly a problem, the way the 11% applied wont affect anyone. Its a 5 minute code change CCP really hasn't bothered to research. It simply wont have the affect they think it will.

> you dont benefit from any corp schemes, my corp offers at cost t1 ships, mission nights with a weekly reward being paid to the best, jump clones, research POS access, and lots of corps offer other cool stuff to members
Ships are already close to cost on the market, I also have access to players who will sell me t2 at cost + small profit, much less than market. I have JC's and if I didn't have the standings to do so there are several corps that offer them. Nothing I could get from a POS that the market does not supply. The price is rarely too much for the lack of effort.

If you say you often get a few people together, get those few people together in a corp and do your thing, you might find you enjoy it.
Nothing restricts me doing anything with people not of my corp.

Oh and we also are recruiting Razz
Everyone is recruiting 3 year old NPC corpers :P


A: You are trolling as you already had your answers ready when you asked you question, as in you had a closed mind. So tut tut.
B: You are basing your answers on a pre-Dominion premise that corp sovereignty means nothing. You do keep up with current affairs don't you?
C: The scariest thing about your responses is this: "I spent 2 hours today helping new players help understanding things the tutorials dont explain". My God, what nonsense have you filled them with?

It all boils down to choice. And the first few respondants made it quite clear. If you don't want to join a player corp, you really don't have to. It's a non-issue. Don't try to make it into one.

Back at you, sweetpea.

Bestofworst
Gallente
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:05:00 - [23]
 

If you need a reason to join a player corp, then you don't need a player corp, you are just trying to troll for stupid answers and argue with people. If there is nothing that a structured corporation can give you, then you can just be happy in an NPC corp, but don't dare you whine about that 11% tax, dear god some of the money I don't lose cause I don't PvP will be waisted (And I also assume that you pvp, according to your post, so take that as you will).

On the other hand, if you like helping noobs, recruit a few into Eve University, and join Eve University as one of the teachers. If teaching gets boring, do some of their Wormhole exploration that the corp offers.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust people I know in NPC corps unless I meant them outside Eve Online (Not the forums, just eve the game).

Vanzatoarea
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:15:00 - [24]
 

Originally by: syphurous
I'm sorry I'm shooting down your reasons but I'm looking for the carrot, all I see is sticks.

CCP simply haven't provided / shown me any carrots. CCP wants us out of NPC corps, but there's no value out of one.

The group "identity" is interesting but there's not enough value from it for a casual player.


if you are looking for artificially incentives , hardcoded in by CCP , i can assure you , with this attitude , you wont make it in any half-decent player corp

you see , the question is not "why would you join" , it`s more like "why would anyone recruit you?"

You base your ideea around the fact that you somehow matter to the extent that corps need to fabricate arots just for you . You dont

Cloudheart
Mercury Nation
House of Mercury
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:16:00 - [25]
 

Originally by: Linda Lipsynch

A: You are trolling as you already had your answers ready when you asked you question, as in you had a closed mind. So tut tut.


Exactly. It is obvious that the op doesn't want to be persuaded, but instead wants to put to the test his firm position that there's no good reason to leave the NPC corps.

The "response" he gave indicates this clearly. Corporations are the most fun you will have in EVE.

Syphurous, I found this response of yours amusing:
Originally by: "syphurous"
What can I not do in a NPC corp that a Player corp can ?

Which you said right after the person you responded to had listed war decs, launching POS's, sovereignty :) You only argued that you don't need these things, not that you can do them while in NPC corp. So to ask the person you were responding to to answer this question indicates that you're not even listening.

As for launching POS's - if you want to do t2 invention seriously, you will want a POS. You can supply your own bpc's cheaper, and importantly, quicker (copy slots time bonus) and regularly (what if your bpc seller stops? or others buy out the contracts?). You can determine exactly how much you can produce a month, and use the invention/manufacturing slots on a POS to reduce manufacturing/invention time, increasing the amount you can make per month with the same number of alts. t2 invention in an NPC corp is inferior, both in cost, and amount you're able to produce per month.

Also, you get ME slots on a POS, if you need that.

Meths
The Big Gay Animal Zoo
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:23:00 - [26]
 

you already made your mind up i aint selling you ****,
stop being a knob jockey.

some people like corps some people like npc starter corps.

who gives a toss

now feck off outta the forums and go and help those noobs.

Confused

Zeba
Minmatar
Honourable East India Trading Company
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:29:00 - [27]
 

If you are the type of person that enjoys working towards a common goal and socializing with others then you will most likey end up in a player corp. If not then you will probably quit in frustration or bordom or purchase multiple accounts if you really like the game but still don't want to engage in the social aspects. However noone in the game stays in the npc corp forever and will eventually put thier main in a player corp or roll an alt to do it. For the purpose of this post I consider a one man or multiple alt player corp the same as being in the the npc corps.

syphurous
Gallente
Center for Advanced Studies
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:30:00 - [28]
 

Hardly filled them with nonsense, infact I had to correct several alts who were trying to help but completely forgot that n00bs have low skills and the optimal path to what they n00bs wanted to achieve was not the same as the alts argued. Most alts also forget that new players aren't going to stick around and focus grind to a goal, they need some instant gratification which simply isn't gotten by focused training.

I offer advice ,and usually make sure that those I'm giving it to know that it is opinion and let them balance the worth of my opinion. If they ask me how I figured something out I'll tell them.

Of course a lot would argue my approach is quite rough, though those who have benefited form my advise will usually see it as positive. I simply wont put up with lazy people, if I have given them the tool and the refuse to use it to get the answer I have no time for them and let them know it. I'm the teach the man to fish kind.

A lot of the questions asked simply aren't explained in the tutorials, and while I myself found most of eve to be quite logical or at least "tried & failed / succeeded" to get my answers / opinions, a lot of new players are simply frozen in terms of growth unless someone is there to hold their hands, or point them in the right direction. The simplifying of the tutorials has done nothing to improve the understanding the players who have trouble with the concepts.

Enough about my abilities as a tutor.

Again, looking at Dominion, upgrading space, something a casual player really wouldn't benefit from. A casual players time would benefit others more than themselves in most cases.

Not a complaint about NPC tax, as I said, it simply wont affect anyone to any point worth worrying about. Anyone who has done the math will know its a pointless change. The only choices they have that are obvious would penalise new players just as much as longer term players.

I've looked into EU and Agony, simply not enough appeal to join them.

Hiroshima Jita
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:31:00 - [29]
 

Edited by: Hiroshima Jita on 01/10/2009 03:51:21
There are many reasons to join a corp.

You can decrease their average skill level.

You can die in expensive ships and bask in the fame putting lolmails on the killboard brings you.

You can experience the joy of shooting at a pos for half an hour putting it into reinforced.

You can experience the excitement of returning the next day, going siege green, and having 100 enemy bs and 40 enemy caps materialize on top of you.

This is further compounded by the blood pounding madness you will feel when you capitol ship/pimped out battleship dies in 3 seconds.

You can complain about the other noobs in the corp who die to the local pirates.

You can yourself die to the local pirates and emorage that noone came to save you.

You can rat in a belt in your home system, get caught by an enemy raiding fleet and call for help in local. Then have your buddies warp in one by one and die while the pirates laugh magnanimously on their ventrillo before finally putting dps on you and blowing you up.

You can follow your fc through a gate with a 20 man fleet into an enemy 30 man fleet and die to the last man.

You can **** around as the fleet travels, fall several jumps behind, and get picked off by the scavengers following in the fleet's footsteps.

You can failjump the gate your fleet was sitting on, into the enemy fleet on the other side of the gate that was sitting there Mexican standoff style, and die horribly.

You too can have your drake stolen out of the ratting system's pos.

You too can watch the corp wallet zero out when some enterprising dude walks off with the net sum.

You can have your fc tell you to suicide tackle all manner of interesting and shiny enemy ships.

You can link crappy ship fits in your corp channel and then cry tears when they tell you how to fix it. Older corp members have an arcane and exclusive knowledge about how to fit ships that they will hold you too mercilessly.

You can do a lvl 4 mission with some of the other clueless noobies and watch their battleships explode one by one as their tanks fail.

You too can get stuck in a wormhole with friends who did not bring probes.

You can argue with friends over how to split up the mission loot.

You can argue with friends about who just ninja looted all that faction equipment off the guy you just killed.

You can bring your shield Raven to the RRBS fleet.

You can loose ships and equipment in conqerable stations that were just conquered away from you.

You can bomb friendlies from the safety of your stealth bomber.

You can bring a salvage thrasher on fleet roams.

You can pretend to be an fc and lead everyone to their deaths.

You can complain that your kill/loss ratio is the result of everyone else in the corp being failnoobz.

You can have a 30 man stealthbomber fleet bopsed onto your face.

You can undocked, try to move, and get instapopped by the 50 man bs fleet camping your station in.

You can own a selection of expensive ships that you undock with and hug station at every oportunity, but refuse to go into combat.

You too can be doomsdayed before dominion launches.

You can wait for fights to end, and then run out and grab all the loot while the friendly fleet chases the last of the enemy away and limps back to base to repair/reship.

You can fly a dictor, wait for an enemy fleet to be inbound and then bubble up.

You can be part of a poorly scouted permacamp with a hictor bubble up at all times.

You can be bombed by the elusive stealth bomber.

You can be sniped by the ellusive Sniper HAC.

You can dock a capitol in a spit out station and get hotdropped when you undock again.

You too can watch your fc emoragequit many jumps away from home.

You can armchair quaterback fc despite your lack of knowledge or balls to do it yourself.

You can refuse to get on vent/buy a mike/talk to people

Or alternatively you can not buy a headset, and leave you mike open

You can emoragequit

Ghoest
Posted - 2009.09.30 23:32:00 - [30]
 

Player corps have only 2 advantages.

1 Make friends and chat.

2 Access to wars and friendly space.

For any measurable success you are best off making a one man corp.



Pages: [1] 2 3 4

This thread is older than 90 days and has been locked due to inactivity.


 


The new forums are live

Please adjust your bookmarks to https://forums.eveonline.com

These forums are archived and read-only